Wednesday 12 August 2009

The Third Leg…


How Do I Love Thee?
a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Day Three of Culture Wars; The Culture, and I’ve missed so much.


Starting with works about love and by women. Above is one of Mrs. Northwester’s favourites; we keep a copy over the fireplace.


Pavlov’s Cat points out that I have already missed three excellent posts on Blognor Regis. I am ashamed.

So here’s high culture from John Barleycorn; Rock – with a capital um…wiggly letter like a melted giraffe, forget me own name like as not…And Sport – which is like culture but with fewer rules and more balls. Sorry Longrider. ‘course, if he’da got with the programme and used #culturewarstheculture as a tag as I suggested then I’d have found him first – before THEY did…


Counting cats introduces me (if not you) to a poetic Australian. Yeah, as if all that humiliating stuff with balls on the grass wasn’t enough to do the homeland down.


Julia’s right on the money as per, with an Atlanticist and freedom-loving film that preaches as well as anything that ‘our’ culture is now a worldwide culture, and that for all our faults, the West has stood for so long for freedom.


Pavlov’s Cat has his own sweet vision too – a shield day, a spear day, now that the appeaser’s exposed and run off to his paymaster and the men of the West are free to fight…


Oh, and cop the glorious song amongst the photies. Another stumble-upon montage from James. Use the tag, James; use The Tag.


No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner